Hey, there! I'm Ashlyn and I'm the human behind Hey, Snickerdoodle where you will find approachable, simple recipes that are attainable for any home chef. As a parent to three busy boys, my recipes have been developed and tested with busy families in mind. Hey, Snickerdoodle is a place where you can find a collection of recipes I have developed, photographs I have taken and some simple background information, tips, and tricks I have written about my recipes.
What To Expect From Hey, Snickerdoodle
Hey, Snickerdoodle has been a thought in the back of my head for many years and it's exciting to see it finally developing into an actual place to share my passion for all things food! Whether you are here to try out some of my recipes (like BBQ Chicken Pizza), look at food photos (like Brown Butter Pecan Spice Cookies), or just here to read my interesting commentary (like that in Salted Pretzel Scotcheroos), I truly hope you enjoy your time here!
How It All Began
I can attribute my love for cooking and all things food to my mom and her willingness to teach me everything she knows in the kitchen. Snickerdoodles is a name she sometimes called me and it has always stuck with me and is the reason I chose Hey, Snickerdoodle for the name of this blog!
I have always had a passion to share my recipes with others. For as long as I can remember, cooking, baking, and...well, eating, have been my favorite activities. I have always loved searching through magazines and cookbooks for new recipes to make. Like a total nerd, I have kept a very detailed log of what I have made over the last 20 years with notes about how I might change the recipe to make it better. As my cooking knowledge and skills have improved, so has my ability to develop my own recipes. Now I even think they are good enough to share with the world! I love finding ways to use leftover ingredients from one recipe to the next. It is oddly exciting to me when I use something up before it has to be tossed in the trash. I provide ideas for how to use up perishable ingredients that you may have left after making each of my recipes.
I am lucky to have a house full of amazing taste testers and supporters. My husband and three boys have served as my test subjects for all my recipes and they give the most honest reviews. Every new recipe is either a "keeper" or we discuss what could be changed so it can make the cut next time around! All three of my boys, 8-year-old twins and a 2-year-old, love to help in the kitchen. We have tried some of their own creations and you just might see them here sometime. I mean, tortellini pizza should definitely be shared here, right?
Some Interesting Facts About Me
- I first started Hey, Snickerdoodle in 2008 and was quickly discouraged when I didn't have any visitors after one blog post! I restarted it several times throughout the years leading up to actually putting time, effort, and money into it in 2021.
- While I live in Texas now, I grew up in Minnesota and lived there until I was 25. I sometimes really miss the Minnesota seasons and ALWAYS miss my friends and family I left behind! Luckily we usually get a chance to visit a couple times a year and get our fix of cooler weather and visits with loved ones.
- There are few foods I don't like and typically I'm not picky about food at all. On my short list of dislikes you will find avocado and beets. I continue to give them a try occasionally, but just can't get on board with either one.
- I love frozen cookies and candy bars. I would gladly nearly break my teeth on frozen sweets over room temperature ones any day!
- My counters must be cleared off and the sink empty of dishes before I begin to cook anything. I can't start to make a mess with an already existing one in the kitchen. Also, my kitchen must be clean before going to bed. There is nothing worse than waking up to a dirty kitchen!
Follow Hey, Snickerdoodle on social media and subscribe to my newsletter.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns at [email protected]. I'd be happy to hear from you!