Brown sugar, espresso powder and cinnamon are combined with oat milk to give this overnight oats recipe all the flavor of your favorite Starbucks coffee drink...in a healthy breakfast form! These Coffee Overnight Oats are a perfect way to start your day. Make them in a jar before you go to bed and wake up to a delicious breakfast ready to grab as you run out the door the next morning! A great option for busy mornings!
This make ahead breakfast recipe is made in one jar which makes it not only easy to make, but the perfect thing to grab during your busy morning routine. It's always nice to have some quick breakfasts on hand to have with your morning cup of coffee.
If you love the flavor of brown sugar, espresso and cinnamon, you are going to love these Coffee Overnight Oats! These are truly the best overnight oats!
Why You Will Love This
- They are easy to make. All you need is a jar and five minutes to make these overnight oats. Clean up is easy and your breakfast for the next day is ready to go when you wake up!
- They fill you up. When you fill you belly up in the morning, you are setting yourself up to make good choices throughout the day!
- They help to kickstart your day. The espresso powder helps to jumpstart your day with a little bit of added caffeine kick for your morning. A great way to start the day for coffee lovers!
- Brown sugar: You could use light or dark packed brown sugar for this.
- Espresso powder: Espresso powder is used in a very small amount to give the hint of espresso flavor without overpowering the brown sugar and cinnamon. You could substitute with instant coffee for a more subtle hint of coffee flavor. If you have the option, a shot of espresso would be perfect too!
- Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon is used to add just a hint of flavor.
- Oat Milk: I prefer to use oat milk for these overnight oats but your favorite milk of choice will work too! I've tried it with cow's milk, almond milk and soy milk. All are great!
- Oatmeal: Be sure to use old-fashioned oats. You will get the best texture and they won't turn to mush! Quick oats or instant oats would work, but the texture will not be as chewy. Steel cut oats will not work for this recipe.
- Chia seeds: Add these for an easy way to add texture and a pudding-like consistency!
Step by Step Instructions
Here is how to make Coffee Overnight Oats.
STEP 1: Add the brown sugar, espresso powder, cinnamon and oat milk to a jar with a tight fitting lid. I like to use the half pint mason jars.
STEP 2: Shake vigorously until all the ingredients are combined.
STEP 3: Remove the lid from the jar and add the oats and chia seeds.
STEP 4: Replace the lid back on and shake again to thoroughly mix.
STEP 5: Place your filled jar in the refrigerator overnight.
STEP 6: When you are ready to eat, give it a good stir and sprinkle with brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon, if desired.
If you want to make a batch of these to have ready for the entire week, prepare several at a time. They will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
The cinnamon tends to overpower the flavors the longer it sits. You might want to wait to add the cinnamon when are you ready to eat it, especially if you plan to make your Coffee Overnight Oats several days in advance.
Use a larger jar and double the recipe for a heartier portion.
One of the best things about this recipe is you can customize it however you would like. Top your overnight oats with your favorite nut for an added crunch or drizzle with chocolate chips or cacao nibs if you prefer a sweeter breakfast treat!
If your oats are on the thicker side, you can stir in a little extra milk before eating.
You do not have to use oat milk. You could use whichever kind of milk you prefer.
Try pure maple syrup in place of the brown sugar. This will add the same sweetness, but will also add that additional maple flavor.
If chia seeds aren't your thing, leave them out.
Try using instant coffee in place of the espresso powder.
Overnight oatmeal will last for 5 days in the refrigerator.
Preparing the overnight oats only takes about 5 minutes. After you put them in the refrigerator, it takes about 4 hours for them to be ready to eat.
No. You can make this in bowls or any other kind of container you have that has a lid. I would whisk together the brown sugar, espresso powder, cinnamon, and oat milk before stirring in the chia seeds and oats.
Looking For More Delicious Recipes?
Don't forget to leave me a star rating below!
Coffee Overnight Oats
- 1 ½ teaspoons brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup oat milk
- ⅓ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ teaspoon chia seeds
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the brown sugar, espresso powder and cinnamon. Add the milk, put the cover on tightly and shake until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Remove the lid and add the the oats and chia seeds. Put the cover back on and shake it again until combined. Place jar in the refrigerator overnight.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar or cinnamon if desired. Enjoy!