These super fun Double Layer Beef Taco Cups are easy to make and add a fun twist to taco night. Made with wonton wrappers and layered with refried beans and ground beef, this fun finger food is perfect for bringing to share with a crowd or serving for dinner too!
My kids love when dinner is served in an out of the ordinary way, especially when it's food you can eat without silverware! I like to set all the toppings out on the table so everyone can add their own taco toppings. This way everyone gets their Double Layer Beef Taco Cup just the way they like it!
You could also make these Double Layer Beef Taco Cups as a dish to share at a gathering. A quick three bite taco snack is sure to make anyone happy. You can offer different topping combinations to, again, make sure everyone has them just how they like it!
- canola oil
- chili powder
- ground beef
- picante sauce
- wonton wrappers
- refried beans
- cheddar cheese
- iceberg lettuce
- sour cream
- ripe olives
How to Make Double Layer Beef Taco Cups
The first thing you will want to do is get your oven ready by preheating it to 350°.
Prepare the Beef Mixture
To begin, you will heat the canola oil in a large skillet and swirl it around to coat the bottom of the pan. Next, you will add your onion and saute it for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. Saute for about 1 minute before adding the ground beef. This will cook for about 3 minutes or until it's browned. Be sure to stir it to crumble the beef. (I prefer to use a meat chopper when I'm cooking ground beef. Do you have one yet? It's one of my favorite kitchen tools!) Next, stir in the picante sauce and cover the skillet. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. While the beef cooks, you can prepare the wonton cups.
Prepare the Wonton Cups
First, spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Arrange one wonton wrapper in each muffin cup. Be sure to press the wrapper to the edges and along the bottom. Take about 1 tablespoon of the refried beans and place that in the center of each wonton wrapper. I like to use a spoon to spread the beans out a bit to cover the entire bottom of the wonton wrapper. Next, arrange another wonton wrapper on top of the refried beans, pressing along the bottoms and edges. I like to make sure I put the second wonton wrapper on in the opposite direction of the first one, so the corners are staggered.
Now you will divide the beef mixture up, placing about about 1 tablespoon in the center of each of the wonton wrappers. Next, top with shredded cheese. About 1 tablespoon per taco cup.
Bake the taco cups in a 350° oven for about 15 minutes or until edges are golden and the cheese is melted. Let them cool slightly and then top with your favorite taco toppings.
- The possibilities are endless when it comes to toppings for these Double Layer Beef Taco cups. You could add a dollop of guacamole, taco sauce, pico de gallo, chopped onions, etc.
Double Layer Beef Taco Cups
- 1 ½ teaspoons canola oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 2 tablespoons picante sauce
- Cooking spray
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 cup refried beans
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Diced tomato
- Sliced ripe olives
- Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Add onion and saute 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and next 6 ingredients (through salt). Saute 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add beef and cook for 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Stir in picante sauce. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare the taco cups. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray. Arrange one wonton wrapper in each cup. Press the wrapper to the edges and along the bottom.
- Place 1 tablespoon refried beans on top of each wonton wrapper, using a spoon to spread the beans out.
- Place another wonton wrapper on top of the beans, staggering the corners with the first wrapper and pressing bottoms and edges. Place 1 tablespoon of beef mixture on top of the wonton wrapper and top with 1 tablespoon cheese.
- Bake in 350° oven for 15 minutes or until edges are golden and cheese is melted. Let cool slightly. Top with your choice of toppings and enjoy!