This Easy Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza has tangy BBQ sauce, rotisserie chicken, red onion, cilantro, and a smoked Gouda and mozzarella cheese blend. This delicious pizza will be one of your new favorites for pizza night!
To make these pizzas quickly, we use thin store bought pizza crusts, but you could easily make your own crust for these. A thin and crispy pizza crust is our favorite for this recipe, but you could try a thicker crust if that is your preference.
If you are a fan of the BBQ chicken pizza at California Pizza Kitchen, then you will love this recipe. It’s pretty close in flavor to the one at CPK!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It is easy. If you buy the pizza crust from the grocery store and use already cooked rotisserie chicken, you really only need to assemble these pizzas. With a little chopping and shredding, you are ready to make this easy recipe!!
- It is delicious. The flavor combination of BBQ sauce and cilantro is one that can’t be beat. Combine that with smoked gouda and red onions and you’ve got the most flavorful pizza!
- It is quick to make. It only takes minutes to prep the toppings for this pizza and then it bakes for a quick 9-11 minutes. You can prepare this, bake it and have it on the table in just about 20 minutes.
Here are notes about some of the ingredients needed to make this BBQ chicken pizza recipe. All of these ingredients can be found at your local grocery store or at an online retailer like Amazon.
- Pizza crust: This pizza is best with a thin and crispy crust. I like to make three 7-inch pizzas, but you could also do one big 12-inch pizza.
- BBQ sauce: I think this tastes best when you use a BBQ sauce that is a little sweet. Try a honey or sweet n' spicy flavor or use your favorite BBQ sauce!
- Chicken: I like to use a mesquite BBQ rotisserie chicken for this pizza. Any cooked chicken breast would work for this though.
- Smoked Gouda cheese: If you are unable to find smoked gouda or are looking for an alternative, you could try smoked cheddar cheese. The smokiness of the cheese really adds to the overall flavor of the pizza, but if you would rather use a cheese that is not smoked, you could do that too. I would stick to replacing with another semi hard cheese like cheddar, Havarti or Gruyere.
- Mozzarella cheese
- Red Onion
- Cilantro: Use fresh cilantro. If cilantro isn't your thing, you could easily leave this off.
Step by Step Instructions
Here is how to make this easy pizza recipe. For the full ingredient list and instructions, see the recipe card below.
STEP 1: Preheat your oven to 425°F and line two baking sheets with a sheet of parchment paper.
STEP 2: Place your crusts on the prepared baking sheets.
STEP 3: Spoon the BBQ sauce onto the crusts and spread it around using the back of a spoon.
STEP 4: Sprinkle chicken in an even layer on top of the BBQ sauce.
STEP 5: Sprinkle the red onion on top of the chicken.
STEP 6: Combine the smoked Gouda and mozzarella cheeses in a bowl, then sprinkle evenly between the three pizzas.
STEP 7: Sprinkle with the cilantro.
STEP 8: Place in the preheated 425°F oven for 9-11 minutes or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown on top.
STEP 9: Remove the pizzas from the oven, slice into 4 pieces, and enjoy!
- Drizzle additional BBQ sauce on top after it comes out of the oven and top with another sprinkle of cilantro and red onions, if desired.
- Prepare all the ingredients and have kids help you assemble the pizzas. This is a great recipe to get kids involved in the kitchen.
- If you are using a rotisserie chicken, it is best to remove the meat from the bones shortly after the chicken is purchased at the grocery store. You want to do this while it's still warm for the easiest meat removal. Putting the chicken in the fridge and removing the meat when you're ready is ok too, it just doesn't fall off the bones as easily!
- Use parchment paper to prevent sticking and for easy cleanup.
- Make your own homemade pizza crust if you prefer.
- Use a pizza pan instead of a baking sheet.
- Use any leftover cooked chicken instead of rotisserie chicken.
Yes! Use this gluten free pizza crust and make sure your BBQ sauce is also gluten free. (The BBQ sauces linked above are gluten free!)
No, this is simply for convenience. You could make homemade pizza crust for these pizzas. Whatever size you choose to make your crust will work, just distribute your toppings evenly and adjust the cooking time and temperature as needed.
Sure! You can use any cooked chicken. I think this would be a great way to use leftover chicken. Alternatively, you could grill or bake chicken breasts in place of the rotisserie chicken.
Storing and Freezing
Store leftovers in an airtight container or zip top bag in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Place the pizza on a plate, cover with a paper towel and heat in the microwave until heated through.
Freeze leftovers in an airtight container or zip top bag for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and heat in the microwave until heated through.
Other Recipes to Try
Don't forget to leave a star rating below! This helps both me and other readers! Follow along on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook and subscribe to my newsletter so you never miss what Hey, Snickerdoodle is up to!
Easy Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 3 7-inch thin and crispy pizza crusts
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- ½ cup smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place pizza crusts on baking sheets.3 7-inch thin and crispy pizza crusts
- Spoon BBQ sauce on pizza crusts, using the back of the spoon to spread it around.½ cup BBQ sauce
- Divide chicken across each crust in an even layer. Sprinkle red onion on top of chicken. Combine the Gouda and mozzarella in a bowl and sprinkle evenly across crusts. Top with cilantro.2 cups rotisserie chicken, chopped, ¼ cup red onion, chopped, ½ cup smoked Gouda cheese, shredded, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded, ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Bake in 425°F oven for about 9-11 minutes or until cheese is melted and top is beginning to brown.
- Remove from oven, slice each pizza into 4 pieces and enjoy!