These cute little cookies are packed with pecan pieces, nutty brown butter and just a hint of cinnamon and cloves. The perfect, chewy cookie to have with a cup of coffee or as a quick snack anytime of the day! These Brown Butter Pecan Spice Cookies not only taste delicious, but they will have your home smelling amazing too!
I love that these cookies have both cinnamon and cloves, but the flavor is not overpowering. Taking the time to brown the butter really gives these cookies that extra added flavor that pairs well with the spices. I think these would be a great treat at any time of the year, but they really give me all the fall feels. The way my house smells while these cookies bake has me dreaming of cooler weather, crunchy leaves, and warm drinks.
When my boys taste tested these for me, the first comment was, "Yum! Why are these so buttery?" That's when I knew they were perfect! I am a lover of all things buttery, especially brown butter in a cookie. Is there even a better ingredient than that?
- Brown sugar
- Baking soda
How to Make Brown Butter Pecan Spice Cookies
Brown the Butter
The first thing you will do is brown the butter. To do this, place the butter in a small saucepan and heat on medium heat until melted. Once it is melted, continue to cook on medium heat for 5 or 6 more minutes. The butter will begin to get foamy and start to turn a golden brown. If you have a pan with a light colored bottom, it would be best to use that so you can more easily see the color of the butter. Be careful not to burn it! Once it is a beautiful golden color, remove it from the heat and set it aside to cool.
Prepare the Dough
In the bowl of your mixer, combine the cooled brown butter and the sugars. You will beat this on medium speed until it is light and fluffy, which will take about 2 minutes.
Next, you will add the eggs, one at a time, and continue to beat on medium speed until they are combined.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir with a whisk until combined. Gradually add this to the bowl of your mixer with the butter mixture and beat on medium speed just until combined, scraping the sides and bottom with a spatula as needed. Next, stir in the pecans.
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a small cookie scoop, place scoops of dough on baking sheets. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Bake the Cookies
Preheat your oven to 350°. Line a separate baking sheet with parchment paper. Place chilled scooped cookie dough about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes, or until they are just lightly browned on the tops. Remove them from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Do I have to scoop the dough with a small cookie scoop before I chill it? No. This dough needs to be chilled, but you do not have to scoop it with a small scoop first. The other option would be to shape the dough into a log, wrap in plastic wrap and chill 4 hours or overnight. When you are ready, you can take them out, slice them ¼-inch thick and bake. The dough could also be put into the freezer and saved until you are ready to bake cookies. Let the dough thaw in the refrigerator before slicing and baking.
- Do I have to use pecans? No. Use your favorite nut. Any nut will do!
- Can I just use regular butter? Sure! Just use softened butter and skip the browning step.
Brown Butter Pecan Spice Cookies
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat. Once it is melted, continue to cook for 5-6 more minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once the butter is cool, combine the butter and sugars in the bowl of your mixer and beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and continue to beat at medium speed until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir with a whisk to combine. Gradually add to the butter mixture, mixing just until combined, scraping the sides and bottom with spatula as needed. Stir in the pecans.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a small cookie scoop, place scoops of cookie dough onto baking sheets. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake for 12 minutes or just until starting to brown around the edges. Cool for two minutes on baking sheets and then transfer to wire rack to cool.
Looking For More Cookies?
- Try these Snickerdoodle Cookies!