Apples and bananas all in one loaf of bread! This quick to come together Apple Banana Bread has grated apples and mashed ripe bananas. It is baked to perfection with a hint of cinnamon and a delicious chewy crust. Eaten plain or slathered with butter, this bread is so good! You could eat it for breakfast, dessert or just a snack.
I don't know about you but I'm a major fan of any kind of banana bread. My family also loves banana bread and we usually don't have a loaf around for long. If you are a frequent Hey, Snickerdoodle reader you have probably figured out we have a bit of a problem when it comes to grazing on baked goods! I think I can justify eating more than one serving of this bread though, since it has both bananas AND apples...and they are healthy fruits, which makes this healthy bread, right?
This recipe came together after finding a recipe in my grandma's recipe box for Apple Banana Cake. With a few adjustments and some testing on oven temperature and time, I think this final recipe is delish! The best part about the bread is that it is the perfect density and slices nicely into any size slice you desire.
I originally had all kinds of plans for a glaze to pour on the top of this, but it's so good as is, that it really doesn't need anything extra! The crust on this bread is so good!
- Baking soda
How to Make Apple Banana Bread
The first thing you will want to do is to preheat your oven to 350°. You will also want to spray a 5x10-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. I also like to line mine with parchment paper so I can easily pull it out to cool, but this is not necessary.
Prepare Apples and Bananas
To prepare the apples for grating, peel the apples first. Then, with a box grater, grate the apples, discard the core.
To prepare the bananas, I like to add the bananas to the large bowl that I will be mixing my ingredients in first. Then with a fork, mash the bananas until they are fully mashed.
In a large bowl, combine the apples, bananas, eggs, sugar, butter, and vanilla. Stir until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir with a whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture to the apple mixture. Stir just until all the ingredients are combined.
Pour apple mixture into the prepared loaf pan. The loaf pan will be pretty full and while baking it might look like it's going to overflow, but it hasn't done that for me yet. It stays put for the entire baking time!
Bake in the 350° oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with just a few crumbs. While it's really hard to do, you will want to make sure you let it cool completely on a wire rack before slicing. Eat plain or spread with butter. Enjoy!
- I like nuts in my banana bread, can I add any to this recipe? Yes! This is equally delicious with 1 cup chopped walnuts.
- My bananas always get too ripe before I find time to bake with them. Any tips? Yes. I used to have this problem all the time. When we have bananas that are getting extra ripe and I'm not sure when I will get to bake with them, I peel them, put them in a zip top bag and keep them in the freezer. When I am ready to use them, I just take them out about an hour before I need them and they are ready to be mashed!
Looking For More Apple Recipes?
Try these recipes:
Apple Banana Bread
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 5x10-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, bananas, sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir with a whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the apple mixture and stir just until combined. Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake in 350° oven for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean.