This quick to come together delicious and cozy Apple Banana Bread recipe has grated apples and mashed ripe bananas. It is baked to perfection with a hint of cinnamon and a delicious chewy crust. Eaten plain or slathered with butter or peanut butter, this bread is so good! You could eat it for breakfast, dessert or just a snack. Perfect for the fall season!
This moist bread recipe came together after finding a recipe in my grandma's recipe box for apple banana cake. With a few adjustments and some testing on oven temperature and time, I think this final recipe is delish! The best part about the bread is that it is the perfect density and slices nicely into any size slice you desire.
I originally had all kinds of plans for a glaze to pour on the top of this, but it's so good as is, that it really doesn't need anything extra! The crust on this bread is so good!
Why You Will Love This
- It is moist. With both apples and bananas in this bread, you get a very moist loaf of bread. The apple adds moisture and a little extra flavor than regular banana bread.
- The crust. You have the option to bake this bread without adding anything to the top and you will get a perfectly chewy crust. If you choose to add turbinado sugar on top, you will get a perfectly crunchy top. Make it however you prefer for nice texture!
- It is easy. This bread only takes a matter of a few minutes to put together and doesn't require any fancy equipment. This is also an easy way to use up ripe bananas!
Here are notes about some of the ingredients needed to make this delicious banana apple bread. All ingredients can be found at your local grocery store or an online retailer, like Amazon.
- Apples: I prefer to use Honeycrisp apples for almost anything that requires an apple. You will want to use any mildly sweet apple that is firm and crisp.
- Bananas: Extra ripe mashed bananas are going to be the sweetest and best for the bread. You will want a banana that has a peel that has a lot of brown spots.
- Sugar: Regular granulated sugar and turbinado sugar for the top, if desired.
- Butter: Unsalted butter is best for baking so you have more control over the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Vanilla Extract
- Flour: All-purpose flour works well for this.
- Baking soda
- Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon adds the perfect cozy flavor to this bread.
Step by Step Instructions
Here is how to make this easy quick bread recipe. You will need a 10x5-inch loaf pan, a fruit and vegetable peeler and a box grater. See the recipe card below for the full ingredient list and instructions.
STEP 1: Preheat your oven to 350°F and spray a 10x5-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
STEP 2: To prepare the apples for grating, peel the apples first. Then, with a box grater, grate the apples and discard the core.
STEP 3: To prepare the bananas, I like to add the bananas to the large bowl that I will be mixing my ingredients in first. Then with a fork, mash the bananas until they are fully mashed.
STEP 4: In a large mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients (apples, bananas, eggs, sugar, butter, and vanilla.) Stir until the mixture is fully combined. Set this aside.
STEP 5: In a separate medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.) Stir with a whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture to the apple mixture. Stir just until all the ingredients are combined.
STEP 6: Pour the apple mixture into the prepared loaf pan. For a crunchy top, coat the top with turbinado sugar.
STEP 7: Bake in the 350°F oven on the middle rack for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until an inserted toothpick in the middle comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
STEP 8: Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing. Eat plain or slathered with butter.
Here are some tips to make the best banana bread.
- To easily remove the bread from the pan after baking, line the pan with a parchment paper sling. Cut a piece of parchment paper long enough for it to hang over the edges. Spray the loaf pan with cooking spray and then place the parchment paper in the pan. Allow the edges to hang over the edge.
- Freeze overripe bananas in a zip top bag. When you are ready to use them, remove them from the freezer and allow them to thaw on the counter for 30-45 minutes before mashing.
- Be sure to fold the wet ingredients and dry ingredients together and mix just until you no longer see dry ingredients. Overmixing can cause a gummy and dense bread.
Yes! This is equally delicious with 1 cup chopped walnuts mixed into the batter. You may also enjoy sprinkling some on the top before baking.
Yes. When we have bananas that are getting extra ripe and I'm not sure when I will get to bake with them, I peel them, put them in a zip top bag and keep them in the freezer. When I am ready to use them, I just take them out about an hour before I need them and they are ready to be mashed!
If you wanted to split the batter between two smaller loaf pans, that would be ok. You will need to adjust the cooking time and I would start checking for doneness around 50-60 minutes.
Storing and Freezing
Wrap your cooled loaf of homemade apple banana bread in plastic wrap or foil and store at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To freeze, wrap cooled bread in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place in an airtight zip top bag in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature for several hours before serving.
Other Recipes to Try
Don't forget to leave a star rating below! This helps both me and other readers! Follow along on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook and subscribe to my newsletter so you never miss what Hey, Snickerdoodle is up to!
Apple Banana Bread
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 5x10-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, bananas, sugar, butter, vanilla, and eggs. Stir to combine. Set aside.2 medium apples, peeled, cored and grated, 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed, 1 ½ cups sugar, ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled, 2 eggs, lightly beaten, 2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir with a whisk to combine.2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- Add the flour mixture to the apple mixture and stir just until combined. Pour into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the top with turbinado sugar, if desired.¼ cup turbinado sugar
- Bake in 350°F oven for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.