This Smoky Skillet Roasted Red Pepper Chicken is a flavorful one pan dinner that you will love. Tender pieces of juicy chicken are mixed with a roasted red pepper sauce that is served over rice and with tortilla chips.
The smoky flavor in the red pepper sauce comes from the bacon, chipotle chilies, smoked paprika, and roasted red peppers. All bringing their unique individual flavors but with the same rich smokiness that makes this meal so good!
This is a recipe the whole family will love and it's perfect to make on busy weeknights because it takes minimal effort and clean up is a breeze!
If you are looking for more delicious dinner recipes, try my: Easy Turkey Basil Pesto Panini, Crunchy Baked Cod with Parmesan Panko Crumbs or Mini Dutch Oven Chicken Pot Pies.
Why You Will Love This
- One skillet. Making this meal in one skillet makes clean up so easy. You can even serve this on the table in the same skillet it is cooked in, making things even easier.
- The flavors. There are so many delicious flavors that make this so good. Bacon, roasted red peppers, and cilantro work so well together. I like to give this a squeeze of fresh lime juice to give even more flavor!
- It's easy. Since this entire meal is made in one skillet, it's pretty simple to make. There is no fancy equipment needed and as long as you can chop and dump, you can easily whip this up!
Here are notes about some of the ingredients needed to make this delicious recipe. All of these ingredients can be found at your local grocery store or at an online retailer, like Amazon.
- Bacon: You will need 3 slices of bacon. I prefer to use thick cut bacon for this.
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts work great for this. You will use 2 6-ounce chicken breasts.
- Salt & black pepper
- Onion: Use a red onion for this.
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic: Fresh minced garlic or bottled minced garlic will work great. I like to use the bottled minced garlic for convenience.
- Chipotle chile: Use one chipotle chile from a can of chipotle chilies in adobo.
- Picante sauce: I like to use mild picante sauce. It gives just a slight bit of heat but not overpowering.
- Roasted red peppers: You will use an entire 12 ounce jar of roasted red peppers.
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro for garnish.
- Cheese: I like to use a shredded Mexican blend, but cheddar, Monterey Jack or Pepperjack would be great!
- Rice: Serve over a bed of white rice. I like to make a cilantro lime rice, plain white or brown rice for this.
- Sour Cream
- Lime: Lime wedges for serving.
- Tortilla chips: Serve with tortilla chips. They are perfect for scooping! I like the tortilla chips with a hint of lime because the flavor is perfect with this recipe!
Step by Step Instructions
Here is how to make this delicious weeknight meal. You will need one big skillet. I like to make this in my large cast iron skillet.
STEP 1: In your large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Chop once cooled and set aside.
STEP 2: Add chicken to the skillet, season with salt and pepper and and sauté for 5-7 minutes or unitl cooked through. Usiing a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a clean plate and keep warm.
STEP 3: Add the onion, coriander, paprika, garlic, and chipotle chile to the skillet. Sauté for 3 minutes.
STEP 4: Add the picante and roasted red peppers. Stir to combine.
STEP 5: Add the chicken back to the skillet, stir and cover. Cook for 7 minutes.
STEP 6: Remove the cover and sprinkle with the cheese. Place the cover back on to allow the cheese to melt.
STEP 7: Sprinkle with the bacon and cilantro before serving over rice with a dollop of sour cream.
- Serve with sliced avocado or guacamole.
- Use a clean kitchen scissors to cut the bacon after it is done cooking. This can be done directly over the skillet once you are ready to serve.
- Plan ahead and be sure to either have the rice already cooked and ready to go or cooking while you are preparing this recipe. You want them both ready around the same time for serving.
- Serve with extra cilantro, cheese and sour cream so each person can add more of what they like most!
I think this is best with boneless skinless chicken breasts. You could use chicken cutlets or boneless skinless chicken thighs if you prefer.
Yes! You can serve this on its own with tortilla chips on the side. You could also get creative with what kind of rice or grain you serve this with. Try cauliflower rice, quinoa or coucous.
Fresh red peppers are going to have a different texture and will lend a bit of a different flavor in this recipe, but they would work. I would use 1-2 sliced red bell peppers and be sure to cook the sauce long enough for them to get tender.
Storing and Freezing
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through.
Freeze leftovers in an airtight conatiner for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and heat in the microwafe until heated through.
More Recipes to Try
Don't forget to leave a star rating below! This helps both me and other readers! Follow along on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook and subscribe to my newsletter so you never miss what Hey, Snickerdoodle is up to!
Smoky Skillet Roasted Red Pepper Chicken
- 3 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, drained and finely chopoped
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 1 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- ¼ cup Cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate, chop when cool and set aside.3 slices thick cut bacon
- Add chicken to bacon drippings in skillet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. With a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a clean plate and keep warm.2 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Add the onion, coriander, paprika, garlic, and chipotle chile to the skillet. Sauté for 3 mnutes.½ cup chopped red onion, ½ teaspoon ground coriander, ½ teaspoon smoked paprika, 3 cloves garlic, minced, 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, drained and finely chopoped
- Stir in the salsa and roasted red peppers then add the chicken back to the skillet, stirring to combine. Cover and cook for 7 minutes.1 cup picante sauce, 1 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- Remove the cover, stir, and sprinkle with the cheese. Cover and allow the cheese to melt.1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Sprinkle with the bacon and cilantro. Serve over rice with lime wedges, sour cream and tortilla chips on the side.¼ cup Cilantro
Leave a Reply