These dark chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with pecans are thick, chewy and filled with flavor. They are packed with dark chocolate chips, crunchy pecans, made with brown butter, and sprinkled flake salt. This is an easy recipe that you will love!
These chewy oatmeal cookies are delicious and hard to have just one! Browning the butter really gives these cookies the best caramelly, nutty flavor. The dark chocolate chips and their intense chocolate flavor pairs great with the pecans. Topping these with flake salt helps to bring out all those flavors!
This is a small batch recipe, so it makes just 16 cookies. It can easily be doubled if you are wanting more cookies. Balls of the dough freeze great too, so you can make extras and have cookies anytime you please!
For more cookie recipes, try one of these: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies with Applesauce, Chocolate Cookies with Buttercream Frosting or Brown Butter Brown Sugar Maple Glazed Cookies.
Why You Will Love These
- They are easy. These cookies very easy to put together and don't require any special equipment. You can have the dough made in about 10 minutes and after chilling the dough for about 30 minues, you can have warm, gooey cookies to munch on.
- The brown butter. Browning the butter really takes these cookies to a whole new level. Browned butter adds a nutty, caramel flavor and it is so worth the extra work.
- The dark chocolate. The bitterness of the dark chocolate chips is balanced so nicely with all the other flavors in these cookies. Even folks who don't usually appreciate dark chocolate, will love it in these cookies!
- Sugar: You will need both dark brown sugar and granulated white sugar. Light brown sugar would work in place of the dark brown sugar, if needed.
- Butter: Unsalted brown butter that is cooled to room temperature is best. If you are short on time, or prefer not to use brown butter, you can use regular unsalted melted and cooled butter.
- Vanilla: I prefer to use vanilla bean paste, but regular vanilla extract works just as great!
- Oatmeal: Old fashioned rolled oats work best. Instant or quick oats will alter the texture and are not recommended, but could be used in a pinch. Steel cut oats would not work for this.
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Salt: You will use salt in the dough and also flake salt for sprinkling on top of the baked cookies.
- Pecans: Pecan chips or chopped pecans work great.
- Chocolate chips: Dark chocolate chips are one of the best parts of this cookie. You could choose to use your favorite variety of chocolate chips, if you wish. Alternatively, you could use chopped dark chocolate chunks from a bar of chocolate.
Step by Step Instructions
Here is how to make these dark chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with pecans. For a full list of ingredients and instructions, see the recipe card below.
STEP 1: In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, sugar, brown butter, vanilla, and egg. Use a whisk to thoroughly combine these ingredients and then set this bowl aside.
STEP 2: In a medium bowl, combine the oatmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine.
STEP 3: Add the oameal mixture to the sugar mixture. Stir until almost fully combined and just a bit of dry flour still remians.
STEP 4: Add the chocolate chips and pecans and continue to stir just until combined and you no longer see any dry ingredients.
STEP 5: Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
STEP 6: Using a large cookie scoop, place dough balls on prepared cookie sheet.
STEP 7: Place the cookie sheet in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
STEP 8: Preheat oven to 350°F.
STEP 9: Line a second cookie sheet with parchment paper and place chilled dough balls 2 inches apart, about 6 at a time.
STEP 10: Bake for 12-14 minutes or until just starting to brown around the edges.
STEP 11: Remove from the oven, sprinkle with flake salt and let them cool for about 2 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To brown the butter, place butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Allow butter to cook over medium heat, swirling occasionally, until it is a deep golden brown color. Be sure to watch carefully so it doesn't burn.
- To ensure you end up with ½ cup of brown butter, I would brown a little more than one stick of butter. I usually add 3 extra tablespoons and then measure out ½ cup once it's cooled.
- Make a double batch and store dough balls in the freezer until you need your next cookie fix!
- To get the perfect cookie shape, you will need a round cookie cutter or a bowl that is slightly larger than the baked cookie. Immediately after removing them from the oven, place your round object over the cookie and scoot it around with the cookie inside, allowing the edges to form into perfectly round cookies.
- Dip warm cookies in a glass of cold milk for the ultimate cookie eating experience!
No. You can use regular melted and cooled unsalted butter.
Yes. If dark chocolate chips aren't your thing, feel free to use whatever kind of chocolate chips you prefer.
Yes. These cookies would be just as great without the pecans.
Storing and Freezing
Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Freeze baked cookies for up to 3 months in an airtight container or zip top bag.
Unbaked cookie dough balls can be frozen in an airtight container or zip top bag for up to 3 months. Remove from freezer and bake according to recipe when you are ready to use them.
Other Recipes to Try
Don't forget to leave a star rating below! This helps both me and other readers! Follow along on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook and subscribe to my newsletter so you never miss what Hey, Snickerdoodle is up to!
Dark Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies with Pecans
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup browned unsalted butter, cooled
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups oatmeal
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup pecan pieces
- ½ cup extra dark chocolate baking chips
- Flake salt
- Line a bakiing sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the sugars, butter, egg, and vanilla. Stir with a whisk until fully combined.½ cup packed dark brown sugar, ½ cup sugar, ½ cup browned unsalted butter, cooled, ½ teaspoon vanilla, 1 egg, room temperature
- In a separate medium sized bowl, combine the oatmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir with a whisk to combine.1 ½ cups oatmeal, ¾ cup flour, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Add the oatmeal mixture to the sugar mixture and stir just until almost combined. Add the pecans and chocolate chips and stir just until you no longer see any dry flour.½ cup pecan pieces, ½ cup extra dark chocolate baking chips
- Using a cookie scoop, place dough on prepared cookie sheet. Place in the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake cookies 2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheet for 12-14 minutes, or until just starting to brown around the edges. Remove from oven, sprinkle with flake salt and let cool for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Leave a Reply