This roasted broccoli, cheddar and bacon quiche is packed full of flavor. It has tender roasted broccoli, extra sharp cheddar cheese, plenty of applewood smoked bacon, a creamy egg custard, and it is all baked together in a flaky pie crust. This quiche is perfect for breakfast but is also a great option any time of the day!
This broccoli, cheddar and bacon quiche is perfect to prepare and bake ahead of time. Quiche is good served warm or at room temperature, so you can have it ready to go whenever you plan to serve it. It reheats nicely too, so leftovers are delicious!
Why You Will Love This
- The broccoli. Roasting the broccoli in the oven at a high temperature gives this broccoli great flavor and also makes it perfectly tender. It's great to eat on its own this way and even better when in a quiche with the other tasty ingredients.
- The cheddar. The extra sharp cheddar cheese gives this quiche the best cheesy flavor. It's mixed into the quiche with the other ingredients and you can also sprinkle some on top after baking for a bit more flavor and color!
- The bacon. Thick cut coarsely chopped pieces of cooked bacon ensure you get a taste of that smoky bacon in each bite.
- It's easy. This recipe is so simple. You can prepare this in about 15 minutes and you will impress everyone you serve it to, giving the impression you were in the kitchen for hours!
Here are some notes about some of the ingredients. For a full ingredient list, see the recipe card below.
- Broccoli: Fresh broccoli is best for roasting. I like to buy a 12 ounce bag of broccoli florets for this recipe. About 1 ½ cups of broccoli florets cut from a head of broccoli would be equivalent.
- Pie crust: You will need a 9-inch prebaked pie crust. You could use either a regular or deep dish pie crust. The filling fills a regular pie crust right to the edge, a deep dish provides plenty of room and gives you bit more crust to enjoy. A homemade pie crust is always delicious but a store bought one works great too!
- Half and half: I prefer full fat half and half but heavy cream or milk would work great too.
- Bacon: I think thick cut applewood smoked bacon is perfect in this recipe. You could use ½ cup chopped bacon in any flavor or size you prefer.
- Cheese: Shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese provides great flavor. You could use mild or sharp cheddar instead.
Step by Step Instructions
Here is how to make this hearty quiche recipe. For the full ingredient list and instructions, see the recipe card below.
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
STEP 2: Place broccoli on the baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Use your hands to move the broccoli around to evenly coat. Spread in an even layer.
STEP 3: Roast the broccoli in the preheated oven for 6 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and stir the broccoli. Return the pan to the oven for an additional 6 minutes.
STEP 4: Let the broccoli cool on the baking sheet before coarsely chopping.
STEP 5: Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
STEP 6: In a medium bowl, combine the eggs and half and half. Stir with a whisk until thoroughly combined.
STEP 7: Add the broccoli, cheese and bacon and stir until combined.
STEP 8: Carefully pour mixture into the prepared pie crust.
STEP 9: Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the edges are set and there is just a slight wiggle in the center of the quiche. Let it sit for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Place your pie plate on a baking sheet for easy removal to and from the oven.
- For convenience, you can use a store bought pie dough and shape the edges of the crust however you would like. Frozen premade pie crusts work great too!
- Let the quiche cool for at least 15 minutes before serving it. It's easier to cut and it tastes better once it's had time to cool down.
- Reserve a couple tablespoons of the shredded cheese to sprinkle on the top after baking.
Yes. Using frozen broccoli won't have the same texture as using fresh broccoli, but it will still be delicious. I would extend the roasting time by a couple of minutes. Just keep your eye on it and remove it from the oven when the florets begin to crisp up.
No. You could use fresh or frozen broccoli that has been steamed until it is tender before chopping and adding it to the egg mixture.
Yes. You could pretty much replace the extra sharp cheddar with any cheese you prefer. Some great choices would be Colby Jack, Swiss or Mozzarella.
Storing and Freezing
Store baked quiche covered tightly in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat slices in the microwave, covered with a paper towel, until heated through.
Store baked quiche in the freezer, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, aluminum foil or in a zip top bag for up to 3 months. Reheat in a 325°F oven until heated through.
Other Recipes to Try
Don't forget to leave a star rating below! This helps both me and other readers! Follow along on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook and subscribe to my newsletter so you never miss what Hey, Snickerdoodle is up to!
Roasted Broccoli, Cheddar and Bacon Quiche
- 12 ounces fresh broccoli florets (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup thick cut applewood smoked bacon, cooked and coarsley chopped
- 1 9-inch pie crust, prebaked
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place broccoli on baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Stir to evenly coat the broccoli.12 ounces fresh broccoli florets (about 1 ½ cups), 1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Roast in the prepared 450°F oven for 12 minutes, stirring after 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool before coarsely chopping.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the eggs and half and half. Stir with a whisk until fully combined.3 eggs, 1 ½ cups half and half
- Add the broccoli, cheese and bacon. Stir to combine.1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, ½ cup thick cut applewood smoked bacon, cooked and coarsley chopped
- Carefully pour the egg mixture into the prepared pie crust.1 9-inch pie crust, prebaked
- Bake in the 350°F oven for 45-50 minutes or until set. Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.