If you aren't a fan of cupcakes, you will be after trying these Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting. These cupcakes are super moist and the frosting is perfect. You will find yourself coming up with reasons to make these cupcakes!
These are, by far, the best chocolate cupcakes! I have never been much of a cupcake fan, but I will happily eat several of these when I make a batch! These are perfect for a celebration and can be fancied up to your liking.
When eaten at room temperature, these cupcakes are not too cakey and perfectly moist. If you put them in the refrigerator and eat them cold, its like eating a giant chocolate truffle. However you choose to eat them, you will not be disappointed!
- unsalted butter
- vegetable oil
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking soda
- powdered sugar
- heaving whipping cream
- needless strawberry preserves
How to Make Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
Prepare Your Pan and Oven
The first thing you will want to do is preheat the oven to 350°F. You will also want to line your muffin tin with 12 muffin liners.
Make the cupcakes
To make the cupcake batter, you will place the butter, vegetable oil and water in small saucepan and heat over low heat until the butter is melted. Stirring occasionally.
Next, you will sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl of your mixer. Add your melted butter mixture to the bowl and beat on a low speed until smooth, scraping the sides with a spatula if needed. Add the egg and continue beating on low until it is incorporated. Finally, add the buttermilk and vanilla and beat on low until smooth. You will want to be sure to scrape both the sides and the bottom of the bowl to be sure there aren't dry ingredients hiding in there.
Using a medium cookie scoop, fill the liners about ¾ full. Bake the cupcakes for 25 minutes, or until the tops are springy and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let them cool slightly before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.
Make the frosting
The first thing you will do is beat the butter in the bowl of your mixer on medium speed until it is smooth. Next, add in the powdered sugar, vanilla, salt, and strawberry preserves. Beat on a low speed until it is all combined. Scraping sides and bottom with rubber spatula. Then add the whipping cream and beat on medium until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
You can frost the cupcakes with a knife, or put the frosting in a pastry bag with a tip and pipe the frosting on to your liking!
Using Leftover Ingredients
The leftover ingredients that need to be used up would be buttermilk and heavy whipping cream. To use up the buttermilk, try:
To use up the heavy whipping cream, try:
Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
FOR THE FROSTING
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 ½ tablespoon seedless strawberry preserves
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line muffin tin with 12 liners.
- Combine water, vegetable oil, and butter in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until butter is melted.
- In the bowl of your mixer, sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the melted butter mixture and beat on low speed until smooth. Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Add the buttermilk and vanilla and beat until smooth. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Using a medium sized cookie scoop, fill the liners about ¾ full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 25 minutes or until they are springy and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cook slightly in pan before tranferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
FOR THE FROSTING
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, strawberry preserves, vanilla, and salt and beat at low speed until combined. Increase the spead to medium and beat unil smooth. Add the cream and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Frost the cupcakes as desired.