These super indulgent, no-bake bars have both chocolate and butterscotch chips, peanut butter, and pretzels. What's not to love about all those things? Salted Pretzel Scotcheroos are the perfect sweet and salty bar with a crunch!
These bars have a chocolate butterscotch top and a peanut butter pretzel layer on the bottom. You really can't go wrong with that flavor combination!
Flake salt sprinkled on top as a finishing touch helps to bring out all of the different flavors throughout the bar. They are so quick and simple that anyone can whip these up in a flash!
Why You Will Love This
- They are so easy! It only takes 10 minutes to prepare these bars. The hard part is waiting while they are cooling before digging in!
- They are sweet and salty. Is there even a better combination out there? Salty pretzels pair so well with the sweet chocolate and butterscotch chips.
- The texture. They are both crunch and chewy at the same time.
- Honey - Traditional Scotcheroos use corn syrup, but I've replaced it with honey in this recipe.
- Peanut butter - I like to use crunchy peanut butter to make these, but there is no reason creamy wouldn't work just as well. Whatever you have in your cupboard will be great!
- Pretzels - I've made these with both pretzel rods and pretzel twists. The shape of the pretzel does not matter.
- Chocolate chips - I prefer semi-sweet chocolate chips for this.
- Butterscotch chips
- Flake salt - This is my go-to flake salt for all the things!
Step by Step Instructions
STEP 1: Prepare an 8x8-inch square cake pan by spraying it with cooking spray.
STEP 2: Place your pretzels in a medium bowl. Using your hands, break them up into pieces without pulverizing them. (I initially used a bowl to break them apart and then had pretzel dust, so don't do that!) Set your bowl of pretzels aside.
STEP 3: In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and honey and heat on medium heat until boiling. Let the mixture boil for one minute and then remove from the heat.
STEP 4: Add the peanut butter and stir until the peanut butter melts in and is completely combined.
STEP 5: Pour the sugar mixture over the pretzels. Stir to combine.
STEP 6: Transfer pretzel mixture to the prepared cake pan and spread to an even layer. I used the bottom of a ⅓ cup measuring cup to press down the mixture and make it as even as possible.
STEP 7: In a glass bowl, combine the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. Place the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power. Remove the bowl and stir. Continue to do this until the mixture is mostly melted with just a few clumps. Stir the mixture and then let it sit for one minute and then stir again. There may be a few butterscotch chunks that are refusing to melt completely, but that's ok. (I've never been mad about a butterscotch chunk in my scotcheroo.)
STEP 8: Pour the chocolate mixture over the pretzel mixture. Using a spoon or spatula, spread the chocolate to an even layer, making sure to get it all the way to the corners and edges to fill in any gaps.
STEP 9: Sprinkle generously with the flake salt. Let your Salted Pretzel Scotcheroos sit until they have cooled completely. Once cooled, cut into squares and enjoy!
Use whatever pretzel shape and size you prefer. Since you break up the pretzels, it doesn't matter what size they start as.
Be sure to use flake salt for the sprinkling on top. Table salt is too fine and would be a bit overpowering. If you wish, you may skip this ingredient altogether.
Yes! I've made these in a 11x7-inch baking dish and it worked out great. Alternatively, you could double the recipe and put it in a 9x13-inch pan.
You can use any pretzel shape or size for these. Since they are broken up into smaller pieces, the shape and size does not matter.
Storing and Freezing
These are best served at room temperature. You can keep them covered on the counter for up to 5 days.
You could also keep them in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Let them sit on the counter until they are at room temperature because they will be very hard to bite into when they are still cold.
Looking For More Delicious Recipes?
Don't forget to leave me a star rating below!
Salted Pretzel Scotcheroos
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup chunky peanut butter
- 3 cups pretzels
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Flake salt
- Spray an 8x8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray.
- Place pretzels in medium bowl. Break pretzels into small pieces using your hands.
- In a medium saucepan, add the honey and sugar. Stir to combine. Heat on medium heat until boiling. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Add peanut butter to honey mixture. Stir until melted and completely combined. Pour peanut butter mixture over pretzels. Stir to combine.
- Transfer pretzel mixture to prepared cake pan and spread to an even layer. Set aside.
- In a glass microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and butterscotch chips. Place in the microwave and heat at 50% power for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Repeat until mixture is almost completely melted. Let stand for one minute and stir again.
- Pour chocolate mixture over pretzel layer. Spread chocolate mixture to an even layer and sprinkle generously with flake salt. Let cool completely before cutting into 2-inch squares.