These super indulgent, no-bake bars have both chocolate and butterscotch chips, peanut butter, and pretzels. What's not to love about all those things? Salted Pretzel Scotcheroos are the perfect sweet and salty bar with a crunch!
These bars have a chocolate butterscotch top and a peanut butter pretzel layer on the bottom. You really can't go wrong with that flavor combination and these are sure to be a huge hit!
Flake salt sprinkled on top as a finishing touch helps to bring out all of the different flavors throughout the bar. They are so quick and simple that anyone can whip these up in a flash!
What are scotcheroos?
Scotcheroos are a no-bake dessert bar that is typically made with crispy rice cereal combined with a sweet peanut butter mixture and topped with a combination of melted chocolate and butterscotch chips.
They are known for their chewy, yet crispy texture and the peanut butter, butterscotch and chocoalte flavor. A traditional sctocheroo recipe is made with corn syrup which sweetens the cereal layer while also allowing it to also be gooey and chewy.
Why You Will Love This
- They are so easy! It only takes 10 minutes to prepare these bars. The hard part is waiting while they are cooling before digging in!
- They are sweet and salty. Is there even a better combination out there? Salty pretzels pair so well with the sweet chocolate and butterscotch chips.
- The texture. They are both crunch and chewy at the same time.
Here are notes about some of the ingredients needed to make these pretzel chocolate scotcheroos. All ingredients can be found at your local grocery store or at an online retailer, like Amazon.
- Honey - Traditional Scotcheroos use corn syrup, but I've replaced it with honey in this recipe.
- Peanut butter - I like to use crunchy peanut butter to make these, but there is no reason creamy peanut butter wouldn't work just as well. Whatever you have in your cupboard will be great!
- Pretzels - I've made these with both pretzel rods and pretzel twists. The shape of the pretzel does not matter.
- Chocolate chips - I prefer semi-sweet chocolate chips for this. Feel free to use your favorite chocolate chip variety, though. I imagine dark chocolate chips would be great!
- Butterscotch chips: I like to use these butterscotch chips.
- Flake salt - This is my go-to flake salt for all the things!
Step by Step Instructions
Here are instructions for how to make these delicious bars. For the full ingredient list and recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
STEP 1: Prepare an 8x8-inch square cake pan by spraying it with cooking spray.
STEP 2: Place your pretzels in a medium bowl. Using your hands, break them up into pieces without pulverizing them. (I initially used a bowl to break them apart and then had pretzel dust, so don't do that!) Set your bowl of pretzels aside.
STEP 3: In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and honey and heat on medium heat until boiling. Let the mixture boil for one minute and then remove from the heat.
STEP 4: Add the peanut butter and stir until the peanut butter melts in and is completely combined.
STEP 5: Pour the peanut butter mixture over the pretzels. Stir to combine.
STEP 6: Transfer pretzel mixture to the prepared pan and press mixture to an even layer. I used the bottom of a ⅓ cup measuring cup to press down the mixture and make it as even as possible.
STEP 7: In a glass bowl, combine chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. Place the bowl in the microwave for 30 second intervals at 50% power. Remove the bowl and stir. Continue to do this until the mixture is mostly melted with just a few clumps. Stir the mixture and then let it sit for one minute and then stir again. There may be a few butterscotch chunks that are refusing to melt completely, but that's ok. (I've never been mad about a butterscotch chunk in my scotcheroo.)
STEP 8: Pour the chocolate mixture over the pretzel mixture. Using a spoon or spatula, spread the chocolate to an even layer, making sure to get it all the way to the corners and edges to fill in any gaps.
STEP 9: Sprinkle the top of the bars generously with the flake salt. Let your Salted Pretzel Scotcheroos sit until they have cooled completely. Once cooled, cut into squares and enjoy!
Here are some tips for how to make these delicious scotcheroos perfect each time!
- Use whatever pretzel shape and size you prefer. Since you break up the pretzels, it doesn't matter what size they start as.
- Be sure to use flake salt for the sprinkling on top. Table salt is too fine and would be a bit overpowering. If you wish, you may skip this ingredient altogether.
- To easily remove the bars from the pan, line it with a piece or two of parchment paper. Cut the pieces slightly longer than the pan so you have something to grab on to and lift them out once they are set.
Yes! I've made these in a 11x7-inch baking dish and it worked out great. Alternatively, you could double the recipe and put it in a 9x13-inch pan.
You can use any pretzel shape or size for these. Since they are broken up into smaller pieces, the shape and size does not matter.
Storing and Freezing
These are best served at room temperature. You can keep them covered on the counter for up to 5 days.
You could also keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Let them sit on the counter until they are at room temperature because they will be very hard to bite into when they are still cold.
Other Recipes to Try
Don't forget to leave a star rating below! This helps both me and other readers! Follow along on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook and subscribe to my newsletter so you never miss what Hey, Snickerdoodle is up to!
Salted Pretzel Scotcheroos
- 3 cups pretzels
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup chunky peanut butter
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Flake salt
- Spray an 8x8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray.
- Place pretzels in medium bowl. Break pretzels into small pieces using your hands.3 cups pretzels
- In a medium saucepan, add the honey and sugar. Stir to combine. Heat on medium heat until boiling. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.½ cup honey, ½ cup sugar
- Add peanut butter to honey mixture. Stir until melted and completely combined. Pour peanut butter mixture over pretzels. Stir to combine.¾ cup chunky peanut butter
- Transfer pretzel mixture to prepared cake pan and spread to an even layer. Set aside.
- In a glass microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and butterscotch chips. Place in the microwave and heat at 50% power for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Repeat until mixture is almost completely melted. Let stand for one minute and stir again.2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Pour chocolate mixture over pretzel layer. Spread chocolate mixture to an even layer and sprinkle generously with flake salt. Let cool completely before cutting into 2-inch squares.