These Homemade Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats with M&M's are the perfect easy treat for any holiday or celebration! They are sticky, sweet and crunchy. With just a few simple ingredients, you can put this easy recipe together in a couple minutes.
The addition of peanut butter and M&M's to Rice Krispies treats brings this classic cereal treat up a notch. I love that you can customize them with holiday themed M&M's or use the traditional colored ones for a fun dessert anytime of the year!
You will love these Rice Krispies no bake treats with peanut butter because it pairs so well with the chocoalte M&M's and the crunch of the Rice Krispies! It's hard to have just one and I bet this will become one of your favorite recipes!
Why You Will Love These
- They are crunchy. The Rice Krispies cereal adds a perfect crunch and gives these treats the best texture!
- The peanut butter. The creamy peanut butter melted in with the marshmallows is what makes these treats so sticky and gooey. The peanut butter flavor really elevates the flavor of these nostalgic treats. A perfect snack for peanut butter lovers!
- The M&M's. The added sweetness and color the chocolate candies add make these not only fun, but even more delicous! Definitely the best part!
- Rice Krispies: I prefer to use Rice Krispies cereal, but really any crispy rice cereal world work.
- M&M's: This recipe uses plain M&M's. You could use your favorite M&M flavor and size, but I think plain is best for this.
- Butter: Salted butter adds the perfect amount of salt to counter the sweetness of the marshmallows and M&M's.
- Marshmallows: The recipe says to use 16 ounces of mini marshmalllows, but you could substitute 16 ounces of any size marshmallows.
- Peanut butter: I prefer creamy peanut butter for this but crunchy would work too!
Step by Step Instructions
Here is how to make these delicious peanut butter Rice Krispie treats.
Step 1: Spray a 9x13-inch pan or baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Step 2: In a large bowl, combine the Rice Krispies and M&M's. Use your hands to gently combine. Set aside.
Step 3: In a large sauce pan or large pot, heat the butter over medium heat until melted.
Step 4: Add the marshmallows and peanut butter and continue to heat over medium heat, stirring constantly just until almost completely melted. Remove from heat and continue to stir until fully melted and smooth.
Step 5: Pour marshmallow mixture over cereal mixture and working quickly, stir until fully incorporated. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
Step 6: Using your hands coated in cooking spray or a rubber spatula, press mixture into prepared pan, making sure to push it to the corners and edges.
Step 7: Let them cool to at room temperature for at least two hours to allow the marshmallow to set. Cut into squares and enjoy!
For best results, be sure to only heat the marshmallow and peanut butter mixture over medium heat until it's almost thoroughly melted. Cooking this mixture at a high temperature or longer than necessary will make these treats too hard.
Reserve a couple M&M's for pressing into the top after the mixture has been pressed into the baking dish.
Spray your bowl with cooking spray before adding the Rice Krispies and M&M's. This will help the mixture transfer to the baking dish easier.
The melted marshmallow and peanut butter mixture is very sticky. Once you transfer it to the Rice Krispies mixture, you have to move pretty quickly to get it all mixed together and transferred to the prepared baking dish without too much of a mess!
Use a cookie cutter to cut the treats into any shape you prefer!
Yes. You could substitute your preferred nut butter in these treats to get that delicous nutty flavor.
Rice Krispies treats become hard when the marshmallow and peanut butter mixture is cooked at high temperature or for longer than necessary. Be sure to heat over medium heat and remove from the heat before the marshmallows are completely melted. Continue to stir until the mixture is fully melted and smooth.
Yes. You can use a 8x8-inch or 9x9-inch baking dish for thicker treats.
Storing and Freezing
Store leftover treats in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
These sweet treats can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Bring to room temperature before serving. To prolong freshness, you may choose to wrap treats individually in wax paper or plastic wrap before freezing.
Other Recipes to Try
Don't forget to leave a star rating below! This helps both me and other readers! Follow along on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook and subscribe to my newsletter so you never miss what Hey, Snickerdoodle is up to!
Homemade Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats with M&M's
- 5 cups Rice Krispies
- 10 ounces plain M&M's
- 8 tablespoons salted butter
- 16 ounces mini marshmallows
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- Coat a 9x13-inch cake pan with cooking spray.
- Combine Rice Krispies and M&M's into a large bowl.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until melted.
- Add the marshmallows and peanut butter. Stir until both are completely melted. Pour over the Rice Krispies and M&M's mixture. Stir to combine.
- Pour Rice Krispies mixture into prepared pan and using a spatula or your hands coated with cooking spray, pat into an even layer, making sure to spread it to the edges and corners. Let cool for at least 2 hours before cutting into squares.