These ultimate triple chocolate chunk cookies are packed with a combination of rich, chocolate chips, chopped white chocolate, and even a Hershey's bar for that extra chocolaty punch. But that's not all – they also have a generous helping of chopped pecans to give these treats the best little crunch!
This great recipe was developed when I just added whatever I could find in the pantry to my cookie dough. They ended up being so good, I had to go back and write down ingredients and quantities after they were baked. I think I got it pretty close to the originals!
These cookies are a chocolate lover's dream come true. With a triple dose of chocolate, they're an irresistible sweet treat that is perfect for a snack, dessert or even breakfast! Share these with friends and family for special occasions or just for fun and they are sure to be a hit.
Along with the chocolate chunks, you will love the crunch from the chopped pecans. The combination of the chocolate chunks and the crunchy pecans is one that is so satisfying it will keep you coming back for more.
If you are looking for more delicious cookie recipes, try my: Simple Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips (No Flour), Double Chocolate Fudgy Egg White Brownie Cookies or Brown Butter Brown Sugar Maple Glazed Cookies.
Why You Will Love These Cookies
- They are easy to make. These cookies are a breeze to whip up, making them perfect for both novice and experienced bakers. The straightforward instructions and simple ingredients ensure that anyone can create a batch of these scrumptious treats with ease.
- The chocolate. With semisweet chocolate chips, chopped white chocolate, and a Hershey's bar, there is sure to be a chocolate trio in every bite.
- They are quick to make. In just minutes, you'll have warm, golden cookies ready to enjoy. The relatively short baking time and no chilling in the refrigerator means you won't have to wait too long to devour these baked goods!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Here is some helpful information about some of the ingredients to make these ultimate triple chocolate chip cookies. For the full ingredient list, see the recipe card below.
- Butter: You will need four sticks, or 2 cups of softened butter. Feel free to use either salted or unsalted butter. It's really your preference.
- Sugar: You will use both granulated sugar and brown sugar. Light or dark brown sugar will work.
- Eggs: You will use two room temperature eggs.
- Vanilla extract
- Flour: Use all-purpose flour.
- Baking soda
- Chocolate chips: I like to use semi-sweet chocolate chips in both the regular size and mini size. You can use one or the other, if you prefer. Feel free to experiment with dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips or flavored chocolate chips like mint, butterscotch or peanut butter chips!
- Pecans: Use chopped pecans that you either chop yourself or buy pre-chopped from the grocery store. You could swap out the pecans for walnuts, almonds or macadamia nuts, if you prefer.
- White chocolate: You will need 2-ounces, or about ½ cup, of chopped white chocolate. If you wanted to use white chocolate chips, that would work great too.
- Hershey's bar: Use one 1.55-ounce bar of Hershey's chocolate. Feel free to replace this with your chocolate bar of preference.
Step by Step Instructions
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
STEP 2: In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir with a whisk and set aside.
Properly measure flour. When measuring flour, spoon it into the measuring cup and level it off with a flat edge, like a knife or the end of a spoon. Avoid packing the flour into the cup, as this can result in overly dense cookies.
STEP 3: In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, brown sugar, sugar, vanilla, and eggs. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
STEP 4: With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix just until combined. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
STEP 5: Add the chocolate chips, white chocolate, Hershey's bar, and pecans. Mix on low just until evenly distributed.
STEP 6: Using a medium sized cookie scoop to place dough balls on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
STEP 7: Bake cookies in the preheated 375°F oven for 11-13 minutes or until starting to turn golden brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and bang the baking sheet 1 or two times to flatten the cookies a bit. (This is an optional step, but I prefer the texture of the cookies when I do this!)
STEP 8: Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Here are some tips for how to make ultimate triple chocolate cookies perfectly every single time!
- Reserve a few pieces of the chocolate and pecans to place on the tops of the cookies after they come out of the oven, if you prefer.
- If you do not have a cookie scoop, measure about 2 tablespoonfuls of dough for each cookie.
- Pull the butter and eggs out of the refrigerator 1-2 hours before you plan to make your dough. Using room temperature butter and eggs helps the ingredients mix together better which creates the best cookie texture.
- When adding the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mix just until combined. Overmixing can lead to tough cookies.
- Serve warm cookies with a glass of milk for the ultimate snack!
Do the cookie scoot! To get the perfect cookie shape, you will need a round cookie cutter or a bowl that is slightly larger than the baked cookie. Immediately after removing them from the oven, place your round object over the cookie and scoot it around with the cookie inside, allowing the edges to form into perfectly round cookies.
Of course! You can omit the nuts for a nut-free version of these cookies. If you wanted, you could replace the nuts with more chocolate.
Yes. You could make these without a stand mixer by using a hand mixer instead. I prefer this hand mixer!
Absolutely! Feel free to make these cookies your preferred size. Just be mindful that the baking time may need to be adjusted so keep an eye on them while they are baking.
Storing & Freezing
Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Freeze baked cookies for up to 3 months in an airtight container or zip top bag.
Unbaked cookie dough balls can be frozen in an airtight container or zip top bag for up to 3 months. Remove from the freezer and bake according to recipe when you are ready to use them.
Freeze cookie dough: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Portion out the dough and place the baking sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes. Transfer the chilled dough balls to a ziptop bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Easily bake the number of cookies you want anytime you please by following the baking instructions in the recipe!
More Recipes to Make
Don't forget to leave a star rating below! This helps both me and other readers! Follow along on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook and subscribe to my newsletter so you never miss what Hey, Snickerdoodle is up to!
Ultimate Triple Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups butter softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces white chocolate chopped
- 1.55 - ounce Hershey's bar chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir with a whisk to combine.3 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoons salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, brown sugar, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 2 mintues. Scrape down the bottom and sides with a rubber spatula.2 cups butter, 1 cup packed brown sugar, 1 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix just until combined. Scape down the bottom and sides with a rubber spatula.
- Add the chocolate chips, white chocolate, Hershey's bar, and pecans. Mix just until combined.1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, 1 cup chopped pecans, ¼ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips, 2 ounces white chocolate, 1.55 - ounce Hershey's bar
- Using a medium cookie scoop, place dough balls on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake in the preheated oven for 11-13 minutes, or until starting to brown around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and bang the baking sheet on the counter one or two times to flatten out the cookies a bit. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 2 mintues before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completly.