This recipe for Cheesy Hasselback Potatoes with Bacon is one that you will want to be sure to add to your dinner rotation right away. These potatoes are perfectly tender on the inside, crispy on the outside and topped with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and crunchy bacon.
Hasselback potatoes take an ordinary baked potato to a whole new place. Thinly slicing the potatoes without cutting all the way through creates the perfect avenue for the butter and cheese to get right into the center of the potato. Another way these potatoes get such a great flavor is from generously seasoning the skins before baking with a salt, pepper and garlic powder mixture.
You will want to make this hasselback potato recipe on cozy evenings when you're looking for a comforting side dish to add to your meal. They are also a hit for gatherings with friends and family, adding a fun twist to any dinner or special occasion.
We love eating the potatoes by pulling apart the thin slices one at a time. An enjoyable experience and favorite side dish for both kids and adults!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- The texture. The crispy texture combined with the gooey melted cheese and savory bacon creates the best contrast in every bite
- It is simple. If hasselback potatoes seem like an intimidating recipe to try, let this recipe prove that to be wrong. Using wooden spoons or chopsticks as a guide, you can easily slice the potatoes (without cutting all the way through!) which is what makes these potatoes look so impressive.
- It is a crowd pleaser. The combination of flavors and textures, from the crispy exterior to the melty cheese and crispy bacon, makes it a dish the whole family will love.
Here are notes about some of the ingredients needed for these delicious potatoes. Find all the ingredients at your local grocery store or an online retailer, like Amazon.
- Potatoes: Use four unpeeled medium sized russet potatoes that are scrubbed clean.
- Butter: You can use either salted or unsalted melted butter. It is really your preference.
- Salt & black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Bacon: You will need four pieces of cooked and chopped or crumbled bacon.
- Cheese: I prefer to use sharp cheddar cheese for this recipe.
- Sour cream: Use your preference of sour cream. Fat free, low fat or full fat sour cream will all work.
- Green onion
Substitutions and Variations
Bacon: If you wanted to make this a vegetarian option, skip the bacon. You could try replacing it with sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions or diced bell peppers.
Cheese: While cheddar is fantastic, you can explore other cheeses such as mozzarella, Gruyère, parmesan cheese, or even blue cheese for a unique flavor.
Potatoes: Substitute russet potatoes with sweet potatoes for a slightly sweeter and equally delicious twist.
Green onion: If you wanted, you could substitute the green onion for chopped fresh chives.
Additions: Add fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme to the melted butter for a herby twist. For a touch of heat, consider sprinkling some paprika, chili flakes, or a drizzle of hot sauce on top before serving.
This recipe has not been tested with these substitutions or variations. If you give any of these a try, please let me know how it worked out in the comments below!
Step by Step Instructions
Here is how to make this hasselback potatoes recipe. For the full ingredient list and instructions, see the recipe card below. For this recipe you will need: a basting brush and a baking dish or cast iron skillet.
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 425°F.
STEP 2: Place two wooden spoons or chopsticks on either side of the potato on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, slice the potato into ⅛-inch slices, using the spoons or chopsticks as a guide so you don't cut all the way through the potato.
STEP 3: Arrange the potatoes in an ovenproof baking dish or cast iron skillet.
STEP 4: Using a basting brush, coat the potatoes with 2 tablespoons of the butter, including inside the slits. (Use your hands to carefully pry the potato apart to ensure you get the insides coated with some of the butter.)
STEP 5: In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir well to combine.
STEP 6: Sprinkle the seasoning over the potatoes until fully coated, rotating the potatoes to get the seasoning on all the around each one.
STEP 7: Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove the baking dish or skillet from the oven and using a knife gently separate the layers of each potato.
STEP 8: Brush on the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and place back in the oven for 40-50 more minutes, or until they are crispy on the outside.
STEP 9: Remove the potatoes from the oven, top with the cheese and bacon and allow them to rest for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
STEP 10: Top with a dollop of sour cream and chopped green onions. Serve and enjoy!
Here are some tips for making these cheese and bacon hasselback potatoes perfectly each time.
- Aim for consistent slim slices for crispy and delicious potato layers. Using the wooden spoons or chopsticks is essential in ensuring you don't cut all the way through the potato.
- Give yourself enough time to bake these potatoes for the recommended time, and maybe even longer. Depending on the size of the potato, you will want to be sure to bake them long enough that they get that crispy outside layer.
- These potatoes are at their best when served hot and fresh out of the oven, so plan your timing accordingly.
For this recipe, russet potatoes are an excellent choice. Their starchy texture and mild flavor make them ideal for creating those crispy and tender layers. However, you can experiment with other potato varieties, keeping in mind that the results may vary slightly, so adjust your cooking time accordingly.
You can easily adjust the amount of seasoning you use on the potatoes. The recipe calls for a generous amount of seasoning because I think that is what makes these potatoes so good. If you prefer less salt, reduce the amount you add to the seasoning mixture. Or feel free to create your unique seasoning blend by incorporating your favorite herbs and spices.
These cheesy hasselback potatoes with bacon make a versatile side dish that pairs well with a variety of main courses like grilled meats, roast dinners, burgers, fish, salads, and they even make an great main course on their own!
Storage & Reheating
Storage: Store leftover hasselback potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheating: Reheat in the oven at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or in the microwave until heated through.
Other Recipes to Try with Leftover Ingredients
To use up any leftover bacon, make one of these recipes:
To use up any leftover sharp cheddar cheese, make one of these recipes:
Don't forget to leave a ⭐️star rating⭐️ below! This helps both me and other readers! Follow along on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook and subscribe to my newsletter so you never miss what Hey, Snickerdoodle is up to!
Cheesy Hasselback Potatoes with Bacon
- 4 large russet potatoes, scrubbed clean and patted dry
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 pieces bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- Sour cream and green onions for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place two wooden spoons or chopsticks on either side of the potato on a cutting board. Slice the potato into ⅛-inch thick slices, using the spoons or chopsticks as a guide so you don't cut all the way through the potato.4 large russet potatoes, scrubbed clean and patted dry
- Arrange potatoes in an oven proof baking pan or cast iron skillet.
- Using a basting brush, coat potatoes with 2 tablespoons of melted butter including inside the slits.4 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir well. Coat the potatoes with the seasoning, rotating potatoes to ensure they are fully coated.2 teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and use a knife to gently pull layers apart. Brush on the remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake for 40-50 more minutes or until they are crispy on the outside. Top with the bacon and cheese and let them rest for 5 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.4 pieces bacon, cooked and chopped, 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- Top with sour cream and chopped green onions. Serve and enjoy!