This Apple Crostini Appetizer has sweet cinnamon apples and sharp cheddar cheese atop a thin, toasted slice of a chewy baguette. This flavor combination is one that will have you coming back for just one more. This is a perfect and easy appetizer to bring to a gathering to share with others. They taste amazing and look pretty too!
These apple cheddar crostini are simple to make, yet they taste pretty fancy. Sweet fruit and sharp salty cheese is such a great combination. These easy finger food snacks are sure to impress a few people at your next gathering!
I like to make this crostini recipe with toasted baguette slices or on pumpernickel. Both are delicious and are perfect when paired with the cheese and fruit.
Why You Will Love This
- It is easy to make. This fancy appetizer is pretty simple to put together and only takes a few minutes. With just a handful of ingredients, you can have this ready to share in about 20 minutes.
- The flavor combination. The sweet cinnamon apples and the salty cheddar cheese is a perfect combination of flavors. An extra little sprinkle of flake salt on top helps to bring the flavors out even more!
- The texture. The tender apples and melted cheese atop the crunchy toasted bread makes for a super satisfying bite.
Here are notes about some of the ingredients needed to make this delicious apple appetizer. All of these ingredients can be found at your local grocery store or an online retailer, like Amazon.
- Bread - I prefer to use thin slices of a baguette from my grocery store bakery. I've also used this bread and sliced it into rectangles.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter since you are using salty cheese and adding a sprinkle of flake salt on top.
- Apples - It's best to use crisp apples that hold up well during cooking. I would recommend Kanzi, Honeycrisp, Braeburn, Pink Lady, or Granny Smith apples. These are apple varieties that won't turn to mush while they cook. My favorite is Honeycrisp!
- Cheddar cheese: You will really want to be sure you use a sharp or extra-sharp cheddar for this. The sharpness of the cheese is really what makes this recipe!
- Flake salt: I prefer to use this flake salt. If you prefer, you could skip the sprinkle on top.
Step by Step Instructions
Here is how to make this delicious appetizer. For the full recipe and ingredient list, see the recipe card below.
STEP 1: Preheat your oven to 400°F.
STEP 2: Melt one tablespoon of butter in a small bowl in the microwave.
STEP 3: Place your cut bread on a sheet pan. Brush each slice lightly with the melted butter.
STEP 4: Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Set aside to cool.
STEP 5: In a large frying pan, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the slices of apple, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes or until the apples are tender. Remove from the heat and let cool.
STEP 6: Place apple slices on top of each piece of bread. Top apples with shredded cheese.
STEP 7: Place under broiler until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the flake salt and serve warm.
Here are some tips for how to make this these apple cheese crostinis:
- The apple mixture can be made up to a day in advance. I would let it come to room temperature or warm it up in the microwave for 30 seconds before placing onto the crostini.
- Leftover apples make a delicious snack!
The cinnamon apples can be made up to a day ahead of time, but should be brought to room temperature or warmed in the microwave prior to assembling crostini. I do not advise assembling the crostini until you are ready to serve them because the bread will get soggy quickly.
Yes. Pumpernickel is great with this. You could also use any kind of rustic multigrain or brown bread.
Storing and Freezing
I highly recommend eating this fresh out of the oven. Leftover crostini can be stored in an airtight container or zip top bag in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Heat in the microwave for a couple of seconds to warm them up, if desired.
Freezing these is not recommended.
Other Recipes to Try
To use leftover cheddar cheese or apples, try one of these recipes:
Don't forget to leave a star rating below! This helps both me and other readers! Follow along on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook and subscribe to my newsletter so you never miss what Hey, Snickerdoodle is up to!
Apple Crostini Appetizer
- 16 slices thinkly sliced baguette
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Flake salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small bowl in the microwave.2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Place bread on a baking sheet and lightly brush each slice with the melted butter.16 slices thinkly sliced baguette
- Bake in prepared oven for 5 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter on medium heat. Add apple, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from the heat and let cool, slightly.2 tablespoons unsalted butter, 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced, ¼ cup sugar, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, Juice of ½ lemon
- To assemble crostini, place apple slices on top of each piece of toasted bread. Top with shredded cheese. Place under broiler for about 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with flake salt and serve warm.Flake salt, 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded