These Cheddar Green Onion Scones are a perfect side dish for dinner or they go great with breakfast too! These savory scones are simple to make and best when served warm from the oven.
The recipe for these Cheddar Green Onion Scones was inspired by a cheddar green onion muffin recipe I used for many years. This recipe was born when I didn't have quite the correct ingredients for the muffins one day.
We have had these fresh out of the oven alongside grilled pork chops and a green salad. The leftover scones are delicious the next day, warmed up and served with eggs and bacon.
- baking powder
- salt & pepper
- baking soda
- extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- unsalted butter
- green onions
- garlic salt
How to Prepare Cheddar Green Onion Scones
You should be able to have these scones prepared and out of the oven within 30 minutes. Very simple and quick!
Prepare your pan
The first thing you will want to do is to preheat your oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper.
Prepare the dough
Next, you will combine all of your dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and pepper) in a large bowl. Once you have it all mixed together, you will add your cold cubed butter. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it looks like coarse crumbs.
In a separate small bowl, combine the buttermilk, green onions and egg. Add the buttermilk mixture and cheese to the flour mixture. I like to use a fork to mix the ingredients just until they are combined.
prepare dough for baking
I have used both a large cookie scoop and a medium sized cookie scoop to measure out the dough. Both sizes work fine, you just have to decide what size you want your scones! Put your scones in the oven for 12-15 minutes if you used the medium sized cookie scoop and 18-20 minutes if you used the large cookie scoop.
For the tops
While the scones are in the oven, you will want to prepare the butter to brush on the tops. Melt the butter in the microwave, add the garlic salt, and stir together. When the scones are finished, you will using a pastry brush to brush the garlic butter on the tops. Serve these soon after because they are best warm!
Using Leftover Ingredients
The two things that may need to be used up after making these Cheddar Green Onion Scones are the buttermilk and green onions. To use up the buttermilk, try one of these recipes:
To use up the leftover green onions, try:
Cheddar Green Onion Scones
FOR THE SCONES
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoon chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoon green onion
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
FOR THE TOPS
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Line a baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and stir with a whisk. Add the butter. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg, and green onions. Add the buttermilk mixture and cheese to the flour mixture. Using a fork, stir ingredients together just until combined.
- Using a medium sized cookie scoop, place dough about 2-inches apart on the cookie cheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until just lightly browned on top.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the scones with the garlic butter. Serve warm.