This creamy veggie dip with sour cream and crispy shallots is delicious and truly the best dip for your favorite fresh vegetables. It is perfect for setting out with an assortment of colorful fresh veggies because every gathering needs a vegetable tray with a yummy dip for snacking on.
This veggie dip is creamy and full of the tastiest caramelized, crispy shallots that will have you wanting to devour the whole bowl with your favorite veggie dipper. It's perfect for vegetables but also great with pretzels, chips, crackers, on sandwiches...and pretty much anything you can think of!
After crisping up the shallots, all the ingredients are added to a bowl and mixed together. This sour cream dip recipe is super simple to prepare and I bet you will find yourself making it as often as possible!
Why You Will Love This
- The shallots. Sliced shallots are sauteed with butter and olive oil until they are perfectly cripsy and full of so much flavor. These scrumptious little bits are added to the dip and, if you remember to set a few aside, you can sprinkle them right on top too!
- It's easy to make. After crisping up the shallots, everything is tossed into a bowl and stirred together. One of the simplest and quickest dip recipes out there!
- It's versatile. You can pretty much serve this with anthing that can be dipped. Along with the fresh-cut veggies, you could serve this with pretzels, chips or crackers. It's also quite delicous spread on bread for sandwiches too! The perfect party dip!
- Shallots: You will need two large shallots. I think you could easily use three though because the shallots are the best part!
- Butter: I use salted butter for this recipe. The added salty flavor only adds to the flavors in this dip.
- Olive oil
- Sour cream: You can use full fat, low fat or fat free.
- Mayonnaise: I like to use full fat mayonnaise for this, but reduced fat is equally as good!
- Wocestershire sauce
- Garlic powder
- Chives: Fresh chives are best, but I've also discovered freeze dried chives and I'm loving that they don't go bad in the refrigerator before I get to them! If you wanted to, you could use chopped green onions instead.
Step by Step Instuctions
Here is how to make this yummy veggie dip recipe. You will need a medium frying pan and a medium bowl. For the full ingredient list and instructions, see the recipe card below.
STEP 1: In a medium frying pan, heat the butter and oil over medium heat until the butter is melted.
STEP 2: Add the shallots to the frying pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the shallots are golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside. They will crisp up as they cool.
STEP 3: In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, pepper, Wocestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder and cooled shallots. Stir until fully combined.
STEP 4: Store, covered in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Sprinkle with reserved crispy shallots and chives.
- Make the dip several hours before you plan to serve it. It is better when the flavors have had time to rest and meld together.
- Reserve about 1 tablespoon of the crispy shallots to sprinkle on top before serving.
- Double the recipe for a large crowd and you'll be glad you did!
Serve this creamy dip with:
- grape tomatoes
- bell peppers
- snap peas
Yes. You could use thinly sliced sweet onions sauteed in the same manner as the shallots.
Yes. In fact, it's better if you make it several hours ahead of time. This allows the flavors to mix before serving it.
Yes. This is really good with pretzel crisps, plain potato chips, crackers and bread. It's great with pretty much anything that can be dipped!
Storing and Freezing
Store this dip in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freezing is not recommended.
Other Recipes to Try
To use up any leftover sour cream or chives, try one of these recipes:
Don't forget to leave a star rating below! This helps both me and other readers! Follow along on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook and subscribe to my newsletter so you never miss what Hey, Snickerdoodle is up to!
Creamy Veggie Dip with Sour Cream and Caramlized Shallots
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Shallots, sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chives
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat.1 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Add the shallots and saute until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Set aside to cool.2 Shallots, sliced
- In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder and all but about 1 tablespoon of the cooled shallots. Stir to combine.1 cup sour cream, ½ cup mayonnaise, ½ teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, ¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Transfer to serviing dish and top with reserved shallots and chives. Serve with cut vegetables of your choice.1 tablespoon chives