These are the best Oven Baked Zucchini Fries. They are covered in a crunchy mixture of breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Baking these in the oven at a high temperature allows them to develop that crispy perfection in every bite.
These crispy oven baked zucchini fries are great as a side dish or served as an appetizer! They also make a great, healthy snack option! The parmesan breading really helps to make these veggie fries a bit more appealing to someone who typically may not be a fan of zucchini!
During the summer months when zucchini is abundant, this is a great way to get that fresh zucchini eaten!
For more side dish recipes, try: Mini Bell Pepper Nachos with Chorizo, Savory Cheese and Onion Scones or Cheesy Hasselback Sweet Potatoes.
Why You Will Love These
- The parmesan breading. The parmesan cheese mixed with seasonsed panko breadcrumbs is such a flavorful combo. Allowing them to get crispy and golden in the oven really brings these flavors out too.
- The texture. Coating the zucchini spears in the breading really provides the best opportunity for these chips to get extra crispy and crunchy.
- They are easy to make. While the breading takes a bit of time, not of the steps in this recipe are difficult. This is a perfect recipe for anyone to make and it only requires a few simple ingredients.
Here are notes on some of the ingredients needed to make these crispy zucchini fries. All of the ingredients can be found at your local grocery store or an online retailer, like Amazon.
- Zucchini: You will need two medium sized zucchini cut into 2-inch spears.
- Breadcrumbs: I like to use seasoned Panko breadcrumbs for the best kind of crunch.
- Parmesan cheese: Use grated parmesan cheese.
- Salt & black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Egg whites
Step by Step Instructions
Here is how to make these parmesan zucchini fries. For a full ingredient list and insturctions, see the recipe card below.
STEP 1: Preheat your oven to 425°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
STEP 2: Cut the zucchini into spears and lay out in a single layer on several layers of paper towels. Sprinkle with salt, cover with several more layers of paper towels and allow them to sit for 10-15 minutes, pressing down lightly on the paper towels occasionally.
STEP 3: In a medium sized bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
STEP 4: In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk the egg whites until they are frothy.
STEP 5: Working with one spear at a time, coat in the egg white, then transfer to the breadcrumb mixture, pressing gently so the mixture sticks. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining zucchini spears.
STEP 6: Bake in the preheated oven for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
Here are some tips for making these breaded zucchini fries:
- Don't skip the step where you allow the spears to sit on the paper towels to absorb as much moisture as possible. This helps them to become crispy in the oven.
- Use a separate fork for the egg whites and one for the breadcrumbs. Using a fork allows as much of the mixture to drain off makes it easy to transfer the spears to the baking sheet.
- If you are using plain panko breadcrumbs, add ½ teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
- Try a mixture of zucchini and summer squash for a little variety.
- Sprinkle with flake salt after baking, if desired.
Yes! Gluten free breadcrumbs will work great for this. I like these gluten free breadcrumbs the best, but you could also make your own. Take your favorite gluten free bread and pulse in your food processor until you have fine crumbs.
Sure. Shredded parmesan would work, but it won't coat the zucchini slices nearly as well as the grated parmesan. If you do choose to use shredded, just know that the texture and look of the fries may be altered a bit.
You can use your favorite dipping sauce for these fries. We like to eat these with ranch dressing the best! These would be equally delicious dipped in warm marinara sauce too!
Storing and Freezing
This zucchini fries recipe is really best served fresh from the oven. They get a bit soggy if you try to save them for the next day, but they are still good. I would keep leftover zucchini fries in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. When you are ready to eat them, you could pop them back in the oven to re-warm and crisp them up.
Alternatively, if you have an air fryer, these would crisp right back up if you put them in there for a couple of minutes, watching closely that they don't burn.
Freezing is not recommended.
Other Recipes to Try
Don't forget to leave a star rating below! This helps both me and other readers! Follow along on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook and subscribe to my newsletter so you never miss what Hey, Snickerdoodle is up to!
The Best Oven Baked Zucchini Fries
- 2 zucchini, cut into 2-inch spears
- 1 cup seasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut zucchini into spears and lay on several layers of paper towels. Sprinkle the zucchini spears with salt and top with several more layers of paper towels. Allow the zucchini to sit on the paper towels for 10-15 minutes, pressing down lightly occasionally to absorb as much moisture as possible.2 zucchini, cut into 2-inch spears
- In a medium sized shallow bowl, combine the Panko, parmesan, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir to combine.1 cup seasoned Panko breadcrumbs, ½ cup grated parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- In a separate shallow bowl, place the egg whites. Whisk until frothy.2 egg whites
- Work with one spear at a time, place it in the egg white, flipping it to make sure it is fully coated. Transfer it to the bowl with the breadcrumbs and, using a fork, carefully coat the spear with the breadcrumb mixture. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining spears.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-17 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
In the instructions it says to bake 15-17 minutes, but in the recipe, it says 13-15 minutes which is correct?
Thanks for catching that! I'll fix it right now! 15-17 minutes or unitl golden brown and crispy is correct.